Thread: Anyone tried cooking with a Wonderbag?

Anyone tried cooking with a Wonderbag?

Wonderbag was originally invented to help people in places where they have to gather fuel and cook over a fire. Wonderbag is essentially, just a super-insulated pouch. To cook with it, you first boil water and the ingredients you intend to cook until they're at a rolling boil for 10-15 minutes. Make them SUPER hot. Then cover with a tight fitting lid, place the whole pot in the Wonderbag, and close the bag around the pot. Because of the high insulation of the bag, the contents of the pot stay hot, slowly cooking as if they were in a crockpot but without needing electric or additional fuel to cook.

Cooking anything over a fire takes a huge amount of time and fuel (wood, dung, whatever they're using). If people who HAVE to cook over fire can use a Wonderbag, the time saved can let them work or go to school or whatever. It's important. I originally bought one because for everyone bought in the US, one gets donated to Africa. Ultimately though, I discovered that it was extremely helpful at our old house when the power was out - could start water boiling on the grill and get a meal started in the Wonderbag. And it's also helpful in the RV because we can't leave a crockpot plugged in while we tow the 5th wheel from point A to point B but we CAN start something in the morning or the night before and stick the pot/wonderbag in the sink to keep it stable while it keeps cooking. It's super nice to have hot home-cooked food when we stop.

I've tried them but they just seem to take forever to get anything done. I guess they take a lot of planning. With a crock pot, you can throw stuff in cold mid-morning, cook it on high, and have dinner on time. With these, you have to fuss with cutting things really small. Then there's the earlier cooking process, boiling it and simmering for a while. Finally you wrap it in the wonderbag and can ignore it. It takes a long time to get done. I can see how they're useful if you're camping or somewhere that the alternative is cooking something all day over a fire but for every day use, I'm not sure they're as great.

I have never heard of it myself. I tend to not like cooking anything in plastic. I like using crock pots, and slow cookers. I even have a rice cooker which cooks rice and meat at the same time. I haven't tried doing fish in it yet. It steam cooks it so it is very healthy too.